Pages

Thursday, March 17, 2011

I hate when my baby gets the blues..or the snots! Either way, it's Snot good!

Hey, come on now...you know I'm a slight germ a phobe! I carry hand sanitizer with me where ever we go, and on many occassions you can spot more than one bottle in any give space that I own. If you ever want to know what to bring me when I host a dinner party - Purell Hand Sanitizer. Okay, I'm not that bad but darn near close!  So I hate when my babies get sick - who likes it? But I haven't always been this way. My oldest (almost 13) used to catch a cold and it would turn into pneumonia - he was later diagnosed with asthma which we found to be the cause of this crazy bug morphing dilemma. So honestly, that was the pivot point in my life where I became ooOOBER conscious of germs - and where people put their hands just before they go to shake mine.  So latest polls indicates that my youngest (4 y/o) is sick....and what a trooper this boy is! My kids are the type of boys that look FINE but could really use an IV drip without anyone knowing it. So it's hard to know when it's time to hit the doctor's office - so generally I hit it right away.

This week's trip with my youngest was probably the first time where he was old enough to actually verbalize his symptoms to the doctor on his own. Imagine my shock when I went to answer the doctors questions and my guy chimes in to answer in full, complete sentences - INCLUDING eye contact. Hey, hey, hey...either you're growing up mister or this cute young doctor is just too pretty to ignore. Either way, I was just so blown away by his matter a factness and very precise/accurate answers that I sat back and butted out of the conversation for awhile.

So the doc concludes that he has allergies and it has turned into an URI - the solution? So good old fashion antibiotics - by the way, this germ a phobe is a big fan of these meds! If I could start a fan club of Amoxicillin I would. Whenever a doctor tells me she's going to write a script, I feel like I've hit the lottery - BIG TIME!

One time I had a doctor (in an urgent care) say to me, "Well, he doesn't need this for this particular illness - but would you like me to write you a script so you can fill it and keep it on hand for when and if you do need it this season". HELLO - is the sky up mister? YEAH, and a few of that scripts buddies can tag along with him if you don't mind. He said, "my wife always likes to keep a bottle in the refrigerator just in case". Ah...who wouldn't. Um, can I marry you??? All kidding aside, I felt like I just scored - epic winning, duh!

Anyways, back to the cute Cam story. So before the doctor had entered the room, I had prepped him on how this whole doctor visit was going to go down. The tools she was going to use, what she was going to peep into (ear, nose, throat) and so on. So she does her thing, says I'll be back with your scripts and then disappears. So Cam is sitting there on the big examine table, asking me about what's that picture of? How about that one? "Cameron, that's what your heart looks like inside of you". He responds, "Mommy, that looks nothing like a heart - I know because you taught me how to draw them". LOL

So the doctor comes back in with his scripts and instructions and tells us, "Have a great day - feel better". So I go to put his shoes on him (mind you his feet are kicked up and he's chilling - zoning off into lala land waiting patiently). He looks at me, crinkles his eyebrows and says, "What, huh? What do you mean we're going?" Cam, it's time to go, we're all done. He proceeds to tell me in this tiny BOOMING voice (with the examine room door wide open) "That's it? She didn't even do anything."  He continued on with, "What do you mean it's time to go. I'm not ready." So I explain to him, "she did everything I told you she'd do, what were you expecting?" He continues to say, "Mom, she didn't even do anything."  So I asked him, "what would you like her to do".  With which he responds, "SOMETHING". I'm cracking up at this point, wondering who is hearing this conversation out in the hallway. I tell Cam that we have to go to the store now, and take his prescriptions in to be filled so he can get better!

He continues to insist that she's failed at her job - almost as to say "What was that - she makes how much money for what she just did". Secretly I'm thinking "I know kid, I just cleaned you all up, dressed you, hauled your behind in here, waited in the waiting room for a 1/2 an hour, shelled out my $25 co-pay just to be seen for 5 minutes". LOL He get's this all WAY TOO EARLY in life. I would think he would have been thrilled at such quick service. But now, he's acting like he just got ripped off and she needs to come back in and give us a foot rub or something for our time.

I have no idea what this 4 year old is expecting, so I ask him again - half laughing with tears in my eyes now, "what exactly should she come back in to do? She can give you a shot, but you don't need one...you want me to ask her? But you know, the store we're going to know just happens to sell chocolate too, so it's your call - what should be do?" He looks at me and smiles and says in this funny, matter a factly voice,
"Let's go". 

He then proceeds to shimmy off the table to haul it out of there.  Seriously, was he just wanting to answer some more questions, get a little more flirt time in with the doc, show her again how fast his new shoes are....or was he waiting for a lollipop? Either way, he knew when to cut his losses and chose chocolate over a potential poke in the arm! For that I say, GREAT CHOICE SON, you truly are my child! YUMM, chocolate over-rides flirting and shots anyday!

I love that Spring is finally here! It means that the Dairy Dan Ice Cream Barn is open once again.  And with that most welcomed first sign of spring comes a whole new wealth of bribing resources - ahhhhh, spring! Ahhhh soft serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, whatcha think? Love it, hate it, could care a less? You listened to me now I would LOVE to hear what you have to say! HUGS & LOVE!