Pages

Friday, March 25, 2011

Saaay what? You're gonna be how old....

Yay, I’m so excited - my oldest is turning 13 this week and is having a birthday party with a few of his buddies this weekend. This is his first party as a teenager, but also his first party in a very long time (1st grade).  We don’t throw a lot of ‘friend’ parties…we usually have us and the grandparents and that’s just sort of it. I’m not sure why, I suppose because if you do a huge party every year somehow it looses it’s specialness and becomes a “HAVE TO” instead of a “GET TO”.

My soon to be teenager has really grown up in the last six months, I never even saw it coming.  I have to say for as many hormones that are running thru his veins, I'm amazed that he can still keep it all together.  He is the most polite, funny, sweet, loyal and kind 13 year old I’ve ever met. Of course his daddy is pretty cool so he must take after him - I was a foot stomping, sassy mouth girl that hogged up the bathroom and got a job at 15 to purchase her own phone - because yes…I planned to hog that up too!

So let the party begin - got the chocolate fountain ready to be on tap, got the streamers up, balloons this year were a no no….so were goody bags. So I made a goodie bowl for all the boys to grab all that they wanted: I took a huge bowl and packed it full of movie theatre sized candies like Reese’s Pieces, Whoppers, Jr. Mints, Raisenets, full size packs of gum, bags of Combos and horn blowers! The more mature take on the “goodie bag” I hope. He seemed pretty pleased with it!

I’m so glad that PD is my first born, he has been such a blessing and is such a good role model for his younger brothers. They look up to him, trust him and depend on him - he tries to never let them down; what teenager does that? I realize that there is still plenty of years left where this might change and he could start to cause a ruckus, but I just have a feeling that this young man is who he is and always will be. I’m so very proud of the hard choices he’s already had to make! I’m so proud of his walk with Christ and I’m so proud to be his mom. He sets the tone for the rest of the crew and I can’t think of another young man that I would want to mentor my youngest children - he’s a treasure, peach fuzz and all!

2 comments:

  1. I like you, keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. tell me more!!! :-) HA!! Anyways, you have to like me, you married me - Jim!!! But I love you for liking me...thanks! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

So, whatcha think? Love it, hate it, could care a less? You listened to me now I would LOVE to hear what you have to say! HUGS & LOVE!