Pages

Monday, March 7, 2011

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present!

Someone once called me perfect…in a bad way! It was someone that I grew up with and someone that has made bad choices. She says that her life has turned around somewhat, but she still holds a grudge against me for something that I don’t apologize for. See, I CAN apologize for mistakes I have made, but I won’t apologize for the ones I chose not to make. Bad choices and missteps happen but you can’t expect me to be sorry for taking a different path. You got what you wanted out of those moments, even when others tried to steer you clear or help clean up the mess afterwards. And now that the final product, the final outcome, has revealed itself to you and you dislike it, it doesn’t mean you can blame me or resent me because I didn’t make the same choices.

Life is all about choices and although we can’t change the past we can learn from it. As long as you don’t make your past an anchor in your life we can come back from almost anything. When you choose to relive the past, resent the past, or dwell on the past you forget to look at the present and move towards the future. I always believe that if you spend to much time re-hurting yourself because of past mistakes, or on the flip side spending to much time looking towards the future and to what it holds for you, you miss out what blessings God is giving you right now, in this moment - in the present!!!

When I’m faced with a friend that has regret in their life, I’m never at a loss for advise to give them and it varies from person to person, depending on their circumstance - I‘m not sure if my advice helps but I‘m always happy to give it when asked for it…otherwise I try to keep my yapper zipped! Probably the one bit of advise that is always the same, is that they need to take responsibility for their actions and make sure to learn from their successes as well as their mistakes (so they don‘t make them again). Also I suggest for them to cut themselves some slack, but not too much…just enough so they can move on! Tomorrow is a mystery, the past is your history if you have a foot in both you’ll pee all over today! Okay that wasn’t the quote you were looking for, here it is:

"The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present." from the 1902 book, Sun Dials and Roses of Yesterday: Garden Delights by Alice Morse Earle


 “Yesterday is a canceled check; tomorrow is a promissory note; today is the only cash you have - so spend it wisely” ~Kay Lyons

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, whatcha think? Love it, hate it, could care a less? You listened to me now I would LOVE to hear what you have to say! HUGS & LOVE!